Colvin Funeral Home was established in the 200 block of East Broadway in Princeton by Oliver M. Colvin. Prior to coming to Princeton, Mr. Colvin had operated an undertaking establishment in Petersburg, Indiana with Mr. Fred Brenton and Mr. Orace Harris, that firm was known as Colvin-Brenton & Harris Furniture & Undertakers.
The funeral establishment was then relocated to 301 South Main Street and was in partnership with A.L. Radcliff. During this period, there were many changes, from the ambulance and hearse being pulled by horses to the motorized coaches in 1917.
Oliver Colvin's oldest son, Frank, was at that time the youngest man to receive a Funeral Director's license in the state of Indiana. He began working with his father at a young age. In fact Frank, Herold, Jack and Joe Colvin all grew up helping their father. When Mr. Radcliff passed away in 1925, Frank Colvin became a partner in the business and the firm became Colvin & Son Mortuary.
In 1930, Colvin Funeral Home moved to our present location at 425 North Main Street in Princeton. Oliver Colvin passed away in 1947 and Herold, Joe and Jack Colvin purchased their father's interest and operated the funeral home with Frank, until Herold retired in 1973. At that time Joseph "Joe" Maxey purchased Herold's interest and the partnership continued until 1977 when the Colvin's retired and the entire business was purchased by the employee's of Colvin's, Joseph "Joe" Maxey, Richard "Rick" Hickrod, Mark Walter and J.B. Wells and the firm became Colvin Funeral Home, Inc., continuing a heritage of professional, compassionate and personal service to the people of this area.
The Colvin Funeral Home has a proud tradition of caring and service, as a successor to the firm of Dimick & Maxam Furniture & Undertaking that started in Princeton in 1852. From their humble beginning, Dimick & Maxam operated until 1876, after this time the firm went through several changes in ownership until O. M. Colvin became associated in 1908. We have remained a local family owned and operated funeral establishment.